TITLE:Accounting Assistant - Payroll
GRADE:Support - Grade 5
CATEGORY:Full-time Support Staff
FUNCTION OF THE JOB:
Perform a variety of accounting activities involved in general business office functions, including preparation of payroll.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Provide front line services for the business office.
- Perform cashiering services.
- Print, match to invoices, and mail accounts payable checks.
- Responsible for preparation of semi-monthly payroll for all college employees.
- Prepare monthly, quarterly and annual federal and state payroll forms.
- Prepare agency forms as required.
- Ensure proper accounting of payroll benefits and deductions including verifying amounts and proper authorization.
- Verify accuracy of new and revised employee changes.
- Assist and backup other business office personnel as required.
- Preparation of forms and reports, to local, state, and federal agencies as required.
- Perform office functions including correspondence, mail, preparation of reports, public relations, and maintenance of confidential information.
- Provide telephone coverage for the supervisor’s office as well as other offices in the immediate area as needed.
- Maintain necessary supply of letterhead and envelopes for the College.
- Allocate departmental operating costs (e.g., bookstore, IS printshop, etc.).
- Prepare monthly board reports.
- Assume all other reasonable professional duties and responsibilities as assigned by the supervisor.
- Must understand and support the mission of the community college.
- Must have strong skills in customer service.
- Must be able to operate office equipment proficiently.
- Must be able to work with Microsoft Office products.
- Must be able to interpret rules, regulations, policies, and procedures.
- Must be able to provide and understand verbal/visual communications with staff and students.
- Must be able to work in a team environment.
- Must be able to work evenings as required.
Frequent contact is made with College personnel, faculty, student and the general public in the routine performance of duties and in providing departmental services and duties.
Functional supervision is exercised over designated College work-study personnel.
Associate’s degree and one year of responsible accounting office experience or equivalent education and experience required. Knowledge of general accounting principles, experience with computerized accounting software, strong interpersonal skills, and ability to maintain confidentiality of payroll and student records required. Knowledge of Banner accounting software preferred.
TORT LIABILITY STATEMENT:
Coordinates the College Risk Management Program in a capacity appropriate to this position. This includes, but is not limited to, monitoring conditions, events and circumstances present through daily College operations, and communicating observations to the appropriate supervisor or taking necessary actions to correct, prevent or limit safety problems. May serve as a member of a committee that supports the health, safety and/or legal rights of visitors, students and staff. Such committees may include the AA/EEO, Sexual Harassment, and Safety/Loss Control committees. (Risk Management Categories I, III, IV. See Tort file.)
This description is intended to indicate the kinds and levels of work difficulty that will be required of the position that will be given the title and shall not be construed as declaring what specific duties and responsibilities of any particular position shall be. It is not intended to limit or in any way modify the right of the supervisor to assign, direct, and control the work of employees under supervision. The use of a particular expression or illustration describing duties shall not be held to exclude other duties not mentioned that are of a similar kind or level of difficulty.