SUPERVISED BY:Assistant Director of Facilities
FUNCTION OF THE JOB:
Supervise the activities involved in the upkeep and improvement of the campus landscape, grounds, roadways, associated structures, equipment, and fleet vehicles.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Supervise the activities and personnel involved in the upkeep, improvement, and repair of the campus landscape grounds, equipment, and fleet vehicles.
- Assign and supervise the work of grounds personnel; receive and prioritize work orders assigned by the Assistant Director of Facilities.
- Develop and conduct a weed and pest control program through the use of herbicides and pesticides to maintain and improve the campus grounds, trees, and shrubbery, and associated structures.
- Provide input to the Landscape Management Plan and equipment replacement program.
- Develop and conduct a landscape maintenance program that includes turf management, tree and shrub pruning and removal, stump grinding, flower beds, etc.
- Maintain and repair ball diamonds, tennis courts, and associated exterior athletic facilities, to include fence repairs, painting, roof repair, and the like.
- Develop and conduct a landscape maintenance program for roadways, parking lots, sidewalks, and walking paths to include filling pot holes and cracks, minor cement work, painting and striping, curb repair, and minor sewer repair. Install or remove signs as needed.
- Maintain appropriate logs and records to provide periodic reports to designated College personnel as required and requested.
- Maintain all equipment, machinery, vehicles, and fleet vehicles in good working order through a comprehensive preventative checks and service program; troubleshoot, diagnose, and perform minor repairs as needed. Maintain all fuel pumping stations and devices.
- Hire and evaluate work-study grounds personnel as needed.
- Conduct a safety program to ensure all personnel know how to operate assigned equipment in a safe manner and adhere to prescribed safety procedures for the assigned piece of equipment.
- Develop and conduct a snow removal program. Maintain an appropriate inventory of salt and ice melting chemicals.
- Assist multi-craft maintenance personnel with exterior repairs and maintenance (i.e. operate aerial lifts, repair water and sewer lines, install electrical wiring and related parts, repair of exterior structures, and the like).
- Assume all other reasonable professional duties and responsibilities as assigned by the supervisor.
- Must be able to use, demonstrate and train personnel on grounds equipment and procedures.
- Must be able to read, understand and comply with instructions on the Material Safety Data Sheets (MSDS) and Global Harmonized System (GHS).
- Must be able to provide verbal/visual orders to staff.
- Must be able to operate in a safe manner lawn and grounds equipment (i.e., tractors, trucks equipped with blades for snow removal).
- Must be able to work other shifts as required.
- Must be able to use various external communications devices during emergency conditions.
- Must be able to communicate by telephone on a daily basis.
- Must be able to lift heavy equipment, pumps and motors weighing 75 lbs., and be able to carry small items weighing 50 lbs.; push and pull carts loaded with pump/boiler equipment weighing 600 lbs.
- Must be able to successfully pass a drug screening test.
- Must have the ability to become licensed to spray insecticide and pesticide within a reasonable timeframe of being hired.
- Must be able to successfully pass forklift and aerial platform(s) training and obtain license within a reasonable amount of time.
- Must be able to work additional hours based on College needs.
Daily contact is required with the supervisor concerning scheduled and unscheduled activities that require support. During softball and baseball seasons, daily contact is required with coaches or athletic director to coordinate ball game schedules and needs.
Functional supervision is exercised over Grounds Worker and over work-study students.
High school diploma or GED, valid driver’s license, and two years of grounds maintenance experience are required; additional grounds maintenance and/or horticultural training and associate’s degree preferred.
TORT LIABILITY STATEMENT:
Coordinates the College Risk Management Program in a capacity appropriate to this position. This includes, but is not limited to, monitoring conditions, events and circumstances present through daily College operations, and communicating observations to the appropriate supervisor or taking necessary actions to correct, prevent or limit safety problems. May serve as a member of a committee that supports the health, safety and/or legal rights of visitors, students and staff. Such committees may include the AA/EEO, Sexual Harassment, and Safety/Loss Control committees. (Risk Management Categories I, III, IV. See Tort file.)
This description is intended to indicate the kinds and levels of work difficulty that will be required of the position that will be given the title and shall not be construed as declaring what specific duties and responsibilities of any particular position shall be. It is not intended to limit or in any way modify the right of the supervisor to assign, direct, and control the work of employees under supervision. The use of a particular expression or illustration describing duties shall not be held to exclude other duties not mentioned that are of a similar kind or level of difficulty.