SUPERVISED BY:Assistant Director of Facilities
GRADE:Support - Grade 3
CATEGORY:Full-time Support Staff
FUNCTION OF THE JOB:
Supervise the activities involved in the upkeep and improvement of the campus landscape and grounds.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Supervise the activities and personnel involved in the upkeep and improvement of the campus landscape and grounds.
- Assign and supervise the work of grounds personnel.
- Develop and conduct a turf management and pest control program to maintain and improve the campus grounds (see MSDS/GHS sheets for additional information on chemicals).
- Provide input to the Landscape Management Plan and conduct a landscape maintenance program that includes turf management, tree and shrub maintenance, flower beds, etc.
- Maintain, repair and replace all grounds equipment and vehicles as appropriate.
- Develop a budget and prepare orders for supplies and materials required to support the pavement and grounds programs.
- Maintain appropriate logs and records to provide periodic reports to designated College personnel as required and requested.
- Maintain the College van pool, i.e., keep vehicles clean inside and out, perform minor maintenance, and ensure other maintenance and repairs are scheduled and accomplished.
- Hire and evaluate work-study grounds personnel as needed.
- Conduct a safety program to ensure all personnel know how to operate assigned equipment in a safe manner and adhere to prescribed safety procedures for the assigned piece of equipment.
- Perform and supervise other maintenance and repair activities as required; i.e., paint barricades, bleachers and fences; replace signs and posts; maintain ball fields, tennis courts, sidewalks, roadways, and parking lots; remove snow and ice as necessary.
- Assume all other reasonable professional duties and responsibilities as assigned by the supervisor.
- Must be able to use, demonstrate and train personnel on grounds equipment and procedures.
- Must be able to read, understand and comply with instructions on the Material Safety Data Sheets (MSDS) and Global Harmonized System (GHS).
- Must be able to provide verbal/visual orders to staff.
- Must be able to operate in a safe manner lawn and grounds equipment (i.e., tractors, trucks equipped with blades for snow removal).
- Must be able to work other shifts as required.
- Must be able to use various external communications devices during emergency conditions.
- Must be able to communicate by telephone on a daily basis.
- Must be able to lift heavy equipment, pumps and motors weighing 75 lbs., and be able to carry small items weighing 50 lbs.; push and pull carts loaded with pump/boiler equipment weighing 600 lbs.
- Must be able to successfully pass a drug screening test.
- Must have the ability to become licensed to spray insecticide and pesticide within a reasonable timeframe of being hired.
- Must be able to work additional hours based on College needs.
Daily contact is required with the supervisor concerning scheduled and unscheduled activities that require support. During softball and baseball seasons, daily contact is required with coaches or athletic director to coordinate ball game schedules and needs.
Functional supervision is exercised over Grounds Worker and over work-study students.
High school diploma or GED, valid driver’s license, and two years of grounds maintenance experience are required; additional grounds maintenance and/or horticultural training and associate’s degree preferred.
TORT LIABILITY STATEMENT:
Coordinates the College Risk Management Program in a capacity appropriate to this position. This includes, but is not limited to, monitoring conditions, events and circumstances present through daily College operations, and communicating observations to the appropriate supervisor or taking necessary actions to correct, prevent or limit safety problems. May serve as a member of a committee that supports the health, safety and/or legal rights of visitors, students and staff. Such committees may include the AA/EEO, Sexual Harassment, and Safety/Loss Control committees. (Risk Management Categories I, III, IV. See Tort file.)
This description is intended to indicate the kinds and levels of work difficulty that will be required of the position that will be given the title and shall not be construed as declaring what specific duties and responsibilities of any particular position shall be. It is not intended to limit or in any way modify the right of the supervisor to assign, direct, and control the work of employees under supervision. The use of a particular expression or illustration describing duties shall not be held to exclude other duties not mentioned that are of a similar kind or level of difficulty.