Student Records and Confidentiality

The following information is designated by the college as public or "Directory Information" and may be released for any purpose at the discretion of the College in accordance with the provisions of the Act.

  • Name
  • Address
  • Telephone number
  • Full-time/Part-time status
  • Major field of study
  • Dates of enrollment
  • Degrees and awards received
  • Photographs
  • Most recent educational institution attended
  • Participation in recognized activities and sports
  • Weight and height of members of athletic teams

Currently enrolled students may request to withhold Directory Information by submitting to the Office of Admissions and Records a "Request to Prevent Disclosure of Directory Information" form. For more information, contact the Director of Enrollment/Registrar (Student Service Center) at (815) 835-6378.

Notification of Student Rights under FERPA

The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) affords students certain rights with respect to their education records. This act was designed to protect the privacy of education records, to establish the rights of students and parents of an eligible student to inspect and review their educational records, the right to seek to amend those records, and the right to limit disclosure of information from those records.

These rights are:

  1. The right to inspect and review the student's education records within 45 days of the day the College receives a request for access. Students should submit to the registrar, Director of Enrollment Management/Registrar, or the Vice President of Academics & Student Services written requests that identify the record(s) they wish to inspect. The College official will make arrangements for access and notify the student of the time and place where the records may be inspected. If the records are not maintained by the College official to whom the request was submitted, that official shall advise the student of the correct official to whom the request should be addressed.
  2. The right to request the amendment of the student's education records that the student believes is inaccurate or misleading. Students may ask the College to amend a record that they believe is inaccurate or misleading. They should write the College official responsible for the record, clearly identify the part of the record they want changed, and specify why it is inaccurate or misleading. If the College decides not to amend the record as requested by the student, the College will notify the student of the decision and advise the student of his or her right to a hearing regarding the request for amendment. Additional information regarding the hearing procedures will be provided to the student when notified of the right to a hearing.
  3. The right to consent to disclosures of personally identifiable information contained in the student's education records, except to the extent that FERPA authorizes disclosure without consent. No one outside of the College shall have access to nor will the College disclose any information about student educational records without the written consent of the student. Written consent forms can be obtained at the Student Services Center. Exceptions are:
    • School officials demonstrating a legitimate educational interest
    • Schools in which a student seeks or intends to enroll
    • Federal, State, and local authorities involved in auditing or evaluating compliance with education programs in connection with financial aid
    • Organizations conducting studies for or on behalf of educational institutions
    • Accrediting organizations
    • Parent/Legal Guardian of an eligible student
    • Compliance with a judicial order or subpoena (the College must make a reasonable effort to notify the student in advance of compliance)
    • Health or safety emergencies
    • Results of a disciplinary hearing to an alleged victim of a crime of violence
    • Certain agencies such as the U.S. Attorney General's Office, Secretary of Education, and state education agencies
    • Mandated reporting in accordance with the Clery Act
  4. The right to file a complaint with the U.S. Department of Education concerning alleged failures by the College to comply with the requirements of FERPA. Information  for filing a complaint with the U.S. Department of Education can be found at:

The college FERPA policy is also available in the SVCC catalog under Student Services, then Records.