- Helping to identify strengths & sources of support
- Connecting with school & community resources
- Offering a different perspective
- Helping develop new problem-solving & coping skills
- Just having someone listen
Personal information that you share with an advisor is confidential unless you give permission to share it with others. The only exceptions to this policy are when it involves potential harm to self or others, when the safety of a child is at risk, or when it is requested by a court order.
To make an appointment with an advisor, please schedule an appointment online or stop by the Academic Advising Office, Room 1H2.
If you are struggling with any of life's many challenges, i.e. depression, divorce, loss of job, grief, etc., you might want to consider seeking assistance from a professional counselor. Area service providers who accept Medicare, Medicaid, and private insurance include:
- Whiteside County Health Department
815-626-2230 ext. 8
1300 W. 2nd St., Rock Falls
- Sinnissippi Centers
Sterling, Dixon, Oregon, Mount Carroll, and Rochelle
403 E. 1st St., Dixon
(does not accept Medicaid)
- Counseling at SVCC
- Confidential counseling provided by Valerie Kern-Lyons, MA, SVCC Academic Advisor. Valerie is licensed Professional Counselor with an MA in Clinical Mental Health Counseling.
- Please complete a referral form or email firstname.lastname@example.org to make an appointment. All requests are confidential.
- Private practitioners
Refer to local yellow pages
Crisis Text Line
Crisis Text Line serves anyone, in any type of crisis, providing access to FREE 24/7 support and information in the medium people already use and trust, text. To access help:
- Text HELLO to 741741 from anywhere in the U.S., anytime, about any type of crisis.
- A live, trained Crisis Counselor receives the text and responds quickly.
- The volunteer Crisis Counselor will help you move from a hot moment to a cool moment.
Lifeline Crisis Chat - National Suicide Prevention Lifeline
Emotional online support is available at: CrisisChat.org. Whether you feel alone, don't know where to turn, or have a problem that is difficult to talk about, visit CrisisChat.org.