Sauk Valley Community College (SVCC) makes every reasonable effort to accommodate individuals with disabilities in accordance with Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 (504) and the Americans with Disabilities Act Amendments Act of 2008 (ADAAA). In compliance with this commitment SVCC employs a Director of Disability Support Services to determine reasonable and appropriate accommodations and auxiliary aides for access and participation in college sponsored classes, services and programs.
- Students are encouraged to contact Disability Support Services (DSS) early in their academic planning.
- Eligibility and registration for services through DSS is independent from registration for classes.
- All students requesting services must meet with the Director.
- The intake appointment will last approximately one hour.
- All returning students seeking to implement accommodations must meet with the Director each semester.
- No accommodations will be provided without an intake appointment.
- Students should bring documentation of disability to the intake appointment. Documentation such as an Individualized Education Plan (IEP), 504 Plan or Summary of Performance (SOP) are useful but may not, in and of themselves, be sufficient documentation to establish the rationale for accommodations.
- Accommodations are not retroactive.
Accommodations that may be determined appropriate include but are not limited to:
- Extended time for tests and/or quizzes.
- Reduced distraction environment for testing.
- Recording devices for lectures.
- Sign language interpretation.
- Closed captioned video materials.
- Text in alternative format (i.e.- audio, braille, large print).