Disability Support Services Grievance Procedures
- This Grievance Procedure is established to meet the requirements of Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 (504) and the Americans with Disabilities Act Amendments Act of 2008 (ADAAA). It may be used by anyone who wishes to file a complaint alleging discrimination on the basis of disability in the provision of academics, activities, programs or services by Sauk Valley Community College. The College’s Affirmative Action Policy governs employment-related complaints of disability discrimination.
- If a student has a disability related grievance they should contact the Director of Disability Support Services at 815-835-6246, Room 1F27, to discuss the complaint. If the student and the Director are unable to resolve the complaint, the student should complete and submit a written grievance form.
- Alternative means of filing complaints, such as personal interviews or a tape recording of the complaint, will be made available for persons with disabilities upon request. The complaint should contain information about the alleged discrimination such as name, address and phone number of complainant and location, date and description of the incident.
- The complaint must be submitted by the grievant and/or his/her designee as soon as possible but no later than 30 business days (Monday through Friday, excluding college holidays) after the alleged violation.
- Within 10 business days after receipt of the written grievance, the Dean of Student Services or his/her designee and the Director of Disability Support Services will meet with the complainant to discuss the complaint and possible resolutions. Within 10 business days after the meeting, the Dean of Student Services or his/her designee will respond in writing, and where appropriate, in a format accessible to the complainant, with a final resolution of the complaint.
- If no resolution can be reached to the satisfaction of all parties, the filed grievance will be submitted to the Affirmative Action Officer, 815-835-6291, located in Room 3L20. A formal grievance committee will be convened to review the complaint and a written response will be provided to the student within 10 business days from the date the grievance was submitted to the Affirmative Action Officer.
- All written grievances will be reviewed and appropriate action will be taken. No retaliation or intimidation of any person involved with the grievance procedure will be tolerated and is a direct violation of College policy.
- All written complaints received by the Director of Disability Support Services or his/her designee, appeals to the Dean of Student Services or his/her designee, and responses will be retained by Sauk Valley Community College for at least three years.
- Office of Civil Rights contact information:Midwest Region - (Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, Ohio, Wisconsin)
Steven Mitchell, Acting Regional Manager
Office for Civil Rights
U.S. Department of Health and Human Services
233 N. Michigan Ave., Suite 240
Chicago, IL 60601
Customer Response Center: (800) 368-1019
Fax: (202) 619-3818
TDD: (800) 537-7697