SVCC's COVID-19 Information Page
Help students impacted by the crisis. Give Today
Sauk Makes it Possible — You Make it Happen

Illinois Veteran Grant

The Illinois Veteran Grant provides tuition assistance for up to 120 units (12 units = one full-time semester). Veteran must have been an Illinois resident at time of enlistment and upon leaving active duty. Veteran must also have:

  • Served at least one year of active duty,
  • Have served in a combat zone, or
  • Been medically discharged for a service-connected disability.

Who is Eligible?

To be a qualified applicant, you must:  

  • Meet one of these two criteria:
    • have served at least one year of federal active duty service in the Armed Forces of the United States, which may include the Illinois National Guard and the Reserve component of the Armed Forces, or
    • regardless of length of service, have served in a foreign country in a time of hostilities in that country; have been medically discharged for service related reasons; or have been discharged prior to August 11, 1967.
  • Have received an honorable discharge (general discharge under honorable conditions is not eligible) for each period of federal active duty service, and/or be honorably serving.** 
  • Not be a member of the Reserve Officer Training Corps (ROTC).
  • Meet one of these two criteria:
    • have been a resident of Illinois at the time of entering federal active duty service or within six months prior to entering the service, or 
    • have been a student at an Illinois public 2- or 4-year college at the time of entering federal active duty service. 
  • Meet one of these two criteria: 
    • have established, or plan to establish, Illinois residency within six months after leaving federal active duty service, or
    • if married to a person in continued military service:
      • have applied for this grant within six months after and including the date that the spouse was stationed within Illinois, or
      • if the spouse was stationed outside Illinois, have established or plan to establish Illinois residency within six months after and including the date the spouse was separated.
  • Reside in Illinois unless you are serving federal active duty service at the time of enrollment in college or residing with a spouse in continued military service who is currently stationed outside of Illinois.
  • Not be in default on any student loan, nor owe a refund on any state or federal grant.

In order to receive benefits, qualified applicants must be enrolled at an Illinois public 2- or 4-year college and maintain the minimum grade point average (GPA) required by that college.

** If you receive benefits from the IVG Program while serving federal active duty service, upon discharge you will be required to verify that your service has been characterized as honorable.

What is the Period of Eligibility?

IVG may be used at any time, however if a long period of time passes between usage, you may be required to re-apply in order to reactivate your benefits.

How Much Does VA Pay?

This program pays eligible tuition and allowable fees (effective for fall 2005 term, includes mandatory fees). Qualified applicants may use this grant at the undergraduate or graduate level for the equivalent of four academic years of full-time enrollment, which is measured in eligibility units. IVG Program eligibility units are based on the enrolled hours for a particular term, not the dollar amount of the benefits paid. 

How Do I Apply?

New Applicant

You may apply by filling out the Illinois Veteran Grant Program Application and submitting the completed form along with your DD-214 member 4, and a SVCC Veteran Educational Benefit Cover Sheet to the Office of Student Financial Assistance.

Transfer Applicant

Contact SVCC's Office of Student Financial Assistance to verify that your benefits are still active. If benefits are no longer active you will need to re-apply using the "New Applicant" process. You will be required to submit a SVCC Veteran Educational Benefit Cover Sheet to the Office of Student Financial Assistance.

How can I Prevent Overpayments and Penalties?

An overpayment is an incorrect benefit payment that is more than the amount to which you are entitled. You must promptly notify SVCC's Certifying Official of changes affecting your benefits, to prevent or reduce overpayments.

How Can I Get More Information?

Visit the Illinois Student Assistance Commission web page here.