Guidelines and Procedures for Students Called to Active Duty
For currently enrolled Sauk Valley Community College students who are involuntarily and unexpectedly called to active duty, it shall be the procedure of Sauk Valley Community College to initiate one of the following options:
1. Initiate a course withdrawal for the student with a 100% refund of tuition and fees, or
2. Develop a plan to complete the courses within a reasonable time frame, giving an incomplete grade for work completed to date.
Written documentation (i.e. copy of orders) from the student indicating they have been called to active duty before refunds can be issued. Students requesting a refund must complete a Petition for Tuition Refund. Students have until finals week of the semester for which they are petitioning to file the petition. After finals week, no petition will be accepted. Students should contact the Coordinator of Veterans services as soon as possible regarding activation. Students eligible for withdrawal may or may not be entitled to a refund.
It is Follett's intent to help college and university students who are activated by offering them a full refund, with receipt, on their course textbooks and related course materials.
- Students who must withdraw from class prior to final exams without a letter grade being assigned will be offered a full refund on required course materials.
- A copy of the military orders or a college or university withdrawal form indicating a withdrawal for military service must be presented with the course materials.
- Full refunds will be granted within 30 days from the date of activation.
- Because students may only have 24 to 48 hours to complete arrangements before reporting to active duty, a refund may be secured by another person on behalf of the student, within the above conditions.
- Managers may make exceptions to ensure the spirit of this refund policy is met.