Policy Regarding Advance Registration for Service Members and Veterans Students at Sauk Valley Community College
Effective beginning the 2013-2014 academic year, pursuant to Illinois Public Act 098-0316, Sauk Valley Community College will offer service members and veterans the earliest possible enrollment opportunity offered by the college (Advance Registration).
In order to qualify for this Advance Registration opportunity, the student must not be on hold for any current or previous debt to Sauk Valley Community College, must be a resident of Illinois and must either be:
a) a current service member – a member of any component of the U.S. Armed Forces, including any reserve component, or the National Guard of any state, who is eligible to receive military education benefits (as verified by the Veterans Services Advisor) or;
b) a veteran – a previous service member who has received an honorable discharge, a general discharge or an other than honorable discharge (as verified by the Veterans Services Advisor).
Service Members and Veteran students do not have to be using Veterans Educational Benefits at Sauk Valley Community College to qualify, but must provide the Veterans Services Advisor the necessary documentation to show that they meet either (a) or (b) above. This may include the Member 4 copy of their DD214, a copy of a current Certificate of Eligibility for educational benefits from the Department of Veteran Affairs or other appropriate documentation.
Students who meet the above conditions and wish to be granted Advance Registration must follow steps 1-3 listed below in the Advance Registration Process.
~Service Members and Veteran students are not required to participate in Advance Registration and may register online or through the Office of Admission and Records during the regularly scheduled registration period if they so choose.~
Advance Registration Process for Service Members and Veteran Students
Current Service Members and Veteran students wishing to be granted Advance Registration must:
- Meet with the Veterans Counselor*, by scheduling an appointment or stopping in when the Counseling Office has scheduled walk-ins. This appointment must be at least two days prior to the Advance Registration date, which will be posted on the SVCC website on the Veterans Services page. * Students who are unable to meet with the Veterans Counselor must receive permission, from the Veterans Counselor or Veterans Services Advisor, to meet with another counselor, prior to their appointment.
- At the time of their counseling appointment, the student must indicate that they would like to participate in Advance Registration. The Veterans Counselor (or other counselor, with approval) will indicate the students request for Advance Registration in the bottom left corner of the registration form.
- Upon completion of the counseling appointment, the student must take their registration form to the Veterans Services Advisor.
- The Veterans Services Advisor will validate the student’s eligibility to participate in Advance Registration by checking that the student
- Is a resident of the state of Illinois;
- Is either a current service member, who is eligible to receive military education benefits or a veteran who has received an honorable discharge, a general discharge or an other than honorable discharge;
- Does not have a hold for any current or previous debt to Sauk Valley Community College (any hold occurring after this verification will invalidate Advance Registration consideration); and
- If utilizing educational benefits, the courses selected are eligible for such
- Provided that the student meets the above requirements, the Veterans Services Advisor will record the date and time that the student provided the registration to the Veterans Services Advisor in the bottom right corner of the registration form. The Veterans Services Advisor will provide the registration form to the Office of Admissions and Records for processing on the Advance Registration date.
- The Office of Admissions and Records will register the student on the Advance Registration date. If, for any reason, the Office of Admission and Records is unable to register the student, the Veterans Services Advisor will promptly attempt to notify the student by phone. If the student’s phone number on record is inactive or does not accept voice mail, the Veterans Services Advisor will e-mail a notification to the student at their Sauk Valley Community College student e-mail.
- In the event that a course fills during Advance Registration, priority will be given to students who completed the necessary steps first, based upon the date listed in the bottom right corner of the registration form. Students who are unable to be placed in a course because it filled will be placed on the wait list, if one exists for the class, or a suitable substitution will be scheduled and the Veterans Counselor or Veterans Services Advisor will notify the student.
Students who fail to follow steps 1 - 3 will not be eligible for Advance Registration for the given term.