Policy Regarding Tuition Charges for Qualifying Veteran Students at Sauk Valley Community College
Effective July 1, 2015
In accordance to H.R. 3230, the Veterans Access, Choice and Accountability Act of 2014, Sauk Valley Community College will bill student Veterans and qualifying dependents at a rate not to exceed the current in-district rate. For these purposes, SVCC defines-
A student Veteran as:
- A student who has served on active duty, for purposes other than training, for at least 90 days who has an other than “Dishonorable” discharge;
- A student who has served on active duty for at least 30 days and was discharged for a service connected disability or;
- A student who is currently serving on active duty, regardless of length of service
A qualifying dependent as:
- The child of a service member who died in the line of duty serving on active duty on or after September 11, 2001 or;
- The recipient of transferred Post 9/11 G.I.Bill benefits.
Students who reside out of district or out of state will be assessed the actual out of district or out of state charges at the time of registration and will be coded as such for reporting purposes.
The student mustself-identify and indicate that they are a veteran who meets the requirements of this policy by providing the Veterans Services office a copy of their DD214, Member 4 (if a student Veteran) or proof that they are a qualifying dependent (including, but not limited to, documentation from the Department of Veterans Affairs). If the student meets these requirements, a waiver will be applied to their account for the difference between their actual tuition and the in-district tuition. Tuition charges billed to the student, the VA and/or the State of Illinois will reflect the appropriate in-district tuition.