SUPERVISED BY:Assistant Director of Facilities
CATEGORY:Full-time or Part-time Support Staff
FUNCTION OF THE JOB:
Perform a variety of activities to assist in the upkeep and improvement of the campus landscape and grounds.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Perform a variety of activities to assist in the upkeep and improvement of the campus landscape and grounds.
- Maintain College grounds by mowing grass, destroying weeds, trimming bushes and trees, seeding, and the like.
- Paint barricades, bleachers, and fences; replace signs and posts, maintain ball fields, tennis courts, sidewalks, roadways, and parking lots; and remove snow and ice as needed.
- Help maintain and repair College equipment and vehicles.
- Patrol grounds; pick up litter; and empty trash barrels.
- Haul freight and supplies as needed and requested.
- Assist Grounds Lead in maintaining appropriate log and records.
- Help supervise designated work-study students.
- Assume all other reasonable professional duties and responsibilities as assigned by the supervisor and the Grounds Lead.
- Must understand and support the mission of the community college.
- Must be able to use, demonstrate and train personnel on grounds equipment and procedures.
- Must be able to read, understand and comply with instructions on the Material Safety Data Sheets (MSDS) and Global Harmonized System (GHS).
- Must be able to understand and provide verbal/visual orders from supervisor and to other staff.
- Must be able to operate in a safe manner lawn and grounds equipment (i.e., tractors, trucks equipped with blades for snow removal).
- Must be able to work other shifts as required.
- Must be able to use various external communications devices during emergency conditions.
- Must be able to communicate by telephone and computer on a daily basis.
- Must be able to lift heavy equipment, pumps and motors weighing 75 lbs., and be able to carry small items weighing 50 lbs.; push and pull carts loaded with pump/boiler equipment weighing 600 lbs.
- Must be able to successfully pass a drug screening test.
- Ability to become licensed to spray insecticide and pesticide within a reasonable timeframe of being hired.
- Must be able to work additional hours based on College needs.
- Must be able to work in a team environment.
Contact is made with College personnel as appropriate pertaining to routine groundskeeping services.
Functional supervision is exercised over designated work-study students.
High school diploma or GED; valid driver’s license; landscaping and/or horticultural training; and general knowledge of plant care, soil preparation, landscaping, and groundskeeping equipment are required. Additional grounds maintenance and/or horticultural training preferred. Plowing experience preferred.
TORT LIABILITY STATEMENT:
Coordinates the College Risk Management Program in a capacity appropriate to this position. This includes, but is not limited to, monitoring conditions, events and circumstances present through daily College operations, and communicating observations to the appropriate supervisor or taking necessary actions to correct, prevent or limit safety problems. May serve as a member of a committee that supports the health, safety and/or legal rights of visitors, students and staff. Such committees may include the AA/EEO, Sexual Harassment, and Safety/Loss Control committees. (Risk Management Categories I, III, IV. See Tort file.)
This description is intended to indicate the kinds and levels of work difficulty that will be required of the position that will be given the title and shall not be construed as declaring what specific duties and responsibilities of any particular position shall be. It is not intended to limit or in any way modify the right of the supervisor to assign, direct, and control the work of employees under supervision. The use of a particular expression or illustration describing duties shall not be held to exclude other duties not mentioned that are of a similar kind or level of difficulty.