Campus Job Descriptions
- Vice President of Academics and Student Services
- Dean of Business, Career, and Technical Programs
- Program Director of Adult Education
- Dean of General Education and Transfer Programs
- Learning Commons Library Coordinator
- Learning Commons Tutoring Coordinator
- Dean of Health Professions
- Dean of Student Services
- Director of Athletics and Fitness Center
- Director of Enrollment Management/Registrar
- Director of Financial Assistance
- Student Support Services Project Director
- Director of Disability Support Services
- Director of the SVCC Police Academy
- Assistant Director of the SVCC Police Academy and Security
- Vice President of Advancement
- Executive Director of Donor Relations and Economic Development
- Vice President of Business Services (CFO)
- Dean of Information Technology
- Director of Infrastructure and Network Services
- Director of Software and User Services
- Director of Facilities
- Director of Human Resources
TITLE:Adult Literacy Coordinator
SUPERVISED BY:Program Director of Adult Education
CATEGORY:Full-time Professional Technical
FUNCTION OF THE JOB:
Design, create, and support academic services for underprepared learners. Provide direction for the Sauk Valley Community College Literacy programs as well as manage outreach efforts.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Coordinate and participate in department efforts aimed at improving the adult education and VITAL (literacy) programs.
- Plan community collaborative opportunities to build partnerships and deliver educational programs and events.
- Plan and/or coordinate programs, classes, and outreach at all area libraries and at various sites throughout the community.
- Write and submit the annual literacy grant(s), administer the grant(s), prepare reports, and gather statistics related to outcomes documented in grants.
- Responsible for grant management which includes managing the budget and completing quarterly reporting.
- Recruit, train and match volunteer tutors with underprepared learners. Keep volunteer’s/instructor’s training records.
- Provide support and updates for the on-line tutor training (Canvas classroom).
- Recruit, test, and conduct intake interviews with potential participants and students. Maintain records on all participants and students’ progress in the VITAL program.
- Work collaboratively with adult education instructors as a resource for citizenship students who may need legal support and study materials.
- Serve as an ESL liaison within the public school system as well as SVCC Adult Education programs and align programs to provide ESL learners the opportunity to transition into Sauk Valley Community College.
- Assist current and prospective participants, students, and tutors with relevant needs. Complete monthly correspondence with matched students and tutors.
- Monitor attendance records of VITAL students within adult education classes as well as provide support.
- Identify and document students who have received citizenship and provide support.
- Tutor in GED/ESL classes and be willing to substitute teach for adult education instructors.
- Assume all other reasonable professional duties and responsibilities as assigned by the supervisor.
- Must understand and support the mission of the community college.
- Must have strong communication (oral and written) and interpersonal skills.
- Must be able to provide verbal and visual presentations to faculty, staff, volunteers, students, and the general public.
- Must be able to communicate effectively by email and phone on a daily basis.
- Must be able to work with Microsoft Office products.
- Must be able to travel to multiple class site, local libraries, and teach multi-level lessons.
- Must be able to work some evenings and weekends.
Frequent contact is made with all levels of College personnel, students, and outside organizations in relation to routine departmental services and duties in providing appropriate assistance and information as requested.
Volunteer VITAL tutors, student workers, and work studies.
Bachelor’s degree in education or equivalent education and experience, knowledge of basic immigration laws, (2) two to (3) three years of teaching adult ESL or low level learners, bi-lingual, and the ability to work with multilevel classes required.
TORT LIABILITY STATEMENT:
Coordinates the College Risk Management Program in a capacity appropriate to this position. This includes, but is not limited to, monitoring conditions, events and circumstances present through daily College operations, and communicating observations to the appropriate supervisor or taking necessary actions to correct, prevent or limit safety problems. May serve as a member of a committee that supports the health, safety and/or legal rights of visitors, students and staff. Such committees may include the AA/EEO, Sexual Harassment, and Safety/Loss Control committees. (Risk Management Categories I, III, IV. See Tort file.)
This description is intended to indicate the kinds and levels of work difficulty that will be required of the position that will be given the title and shall not be construed as declaring what specific duties and responsibilities of any particular position shall be. It is not intended to limit or in any way modify the right of the supervisor to assign, direct, and control the work of employees under supervision. The use of a particular expression or illustration describing duties shall not be held to exclude other duties not mentioned that are of a similar kind or level of difficulty.