CATEGORY:Full-time Faculty (12 month)
FUNCTION OF THE JOB:
Reports to the Dean of Student Services and is responsible for implementing the mission and goals of the counseling program.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Provide direct assistance to all students in the form of personal, social, educational, and vocational counseling.
- Participate in the student orientation program through individual and group counseling procedures.
- Assist in the identification of student needs for testing, psychological referral, and other services.
- Provide current information to students on university/college articulation issues.
- Function as a collector, disseminator, and interpreter of educational and occupational guidance materials.
- Participate in student-related research and evaluation of effectiveness of counseling services.
- Serve on institutional committees related to the welfare of students.
- Assist the Registrar in outreach activities and high school programs.
- Assume all other reasonable professional duties and responsibilities as assigned by the Dean.
- Must be able to communicate by phone on a daily basis.
- Must be able to provide verbal/visual presentations to faculty, staff, and students on a daily basis.
- Must be able to operate computers.
Frequent contact is made with all levels of College personnel, students, and outside organizations in relation to routine departmental services and duties in providing appropriate assistance and information as requested.
Functional supervision is exercised over work-study students.
Master’s degree in counseling or related field required. Three years of responsible counseling experience at a community college will be given preference. Knowledge of computer based systems (Banner preferred) and good oral and written communication skills required. Must demonstrate an understanding and commitment to the community college philosophy.
TORT LIABILITY STATEMENT:
Coordinates the College Risk Management Program in a capacity appropriate to this position. This includes, but is not limited to, monitoring conditions, events and circumstances present through daily College operations, and communicating observations to the appropriate supervisor or taking necessary actions to correct, prevent or limit safety problems. May serve as a member of a committee that supports the health, safety and/or legal rights of visitors, students and staff. Such committees may include the AA/EEO, Sexual Harassment, and Safety/Loss Control committees. (Risk Management Categories I, III, IV. See Tort file.)
This description is intended to indicate the kinds and levels of work difficulty that will be required of the position that will be given the title and shall not be construed as declaring what specific duties and responsibilities of any particular position shall be. It is not intended to limit or in any way modify the right of the supervisor to assign, direct, and control the work of employees under supervision. The use of a particular expression or illustration describing duties shall not be held to exclude other duties not mentioned that are of a similar kind or level of difficulty.