TITLE:Health Professions and Natural Sciences Assistant
SUPERVISED BY:Dean of Health Professions
DEPARTMENT:Health Professions and Natural Sciences
CATEGORY:Full-time Prof/Tech (some weekends and holidays)
FUNCTION OF THE JOB:
Perform responsible administrative duties for the Dean of Health Professions and assist instructors in the Biology and Chemistry Divisions with laboratory preparation and oversight.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Oversee operation of all chemistry and biology laboratories and related preparation and storage areas to ensure proper function and maintenance.
- Organize and conduct all facets of office management.
- Maintain budgets for department.
- Prepare correspondence, reports, contracts, timesheets, load sheets and program evaluations.
- Assist with nursing and radiology accreditation processes.
- Support the creation of class schedules including additions, revisions, cancellations, and room assignments for each semester.
- Schedule supervisor’s calendar including making appointments, scheduling meetings, and reserving rooms as needed.
- Perform administrative duties for all full-time and part-time faculty in the Health Professions departments.
- Act as a recorder for nursing and workforce council meetings.
- Maintain office files for faculty (i.e. licenses, immunizations, continuing education, etc.).
- Coordinate classroom observations for all faculty in the division.
- Organize health professions student orientation, pinning, picture day, significant other support group, student trips, and information meetings.
- Participate as a member of the Admissions Advisory Committee for all health occupation programs.
- Assist with maintenance of files and records for health occupations program applicants.
- Coordinate and conduct correspondence concerning new applicants with several College departments and various outside agencies and personnel.
- Maintain a complete list of clinical site agreements for health career programs and process clinical site renewal agreements.
- Supervise and train work study personnel; assist other personnel in inter-departmental activities.
- Assist in the completion of annual and periodic reports which include, but are not limited to the following: (a) Rad Tech - AMA, IDNS, CAHEA, JRCERT; (b) ADN - IDFPR, IDPH; and (c) LPN - IDFPR, IDPH.
- Orchestrate all aspects of special events (e.g. pinning ceremony, etc.)
- Ensure supplies and equipment needed for natural science laboratories are available.
- Assist natural science instructors in locating and operating equipment and supplies.
- Maintain semester schedule of laboratory experiments for all science classes.
- Assist natural science instructors in procurement of equipment.
- Inventory and order natural science laboratory supplies as needed, maintain files of purchase requisitions, material safety data sheets and maintain contact with suppliers and receive all items purchased by the area.
- Maintain and monitor security and safety of natural sciences stockroom and laboratories including storage and use of hazardous chemicals.
- Coordinate handling and disposing of hazardous materials, including writing of safety and waste disposal procedures of hazardous materials.
- Assist in the preparation of the budget(s).
- Maintain current knowledge in the operation of all equipment and of all laboratory techniques used in the natural science department.
- Assume all other reasonable professional duties and responsibilities as assigned by the supervisor.
- Must understand and support the mission of the community college.
- Must be able to interpret rules, regulations, policies, and procedures.
- Must be able to work in a team environment.
- Must be able to provide and understand verbal/visual orders from supervisor and to subordinates.
- Must be able communicate effectively by phone and email on a daily basis.
- Must be able to work with Microsoft Office products and operate office equipment proficiently.
- 60% time spent standing while assisting students and preparing laboratories, 10% time walking, and 30% time sitting to complete paperwork and data entry.
- Must be physically able to lift up to 50 lbs. on a daily basis.
Contact is made as appropriate with all levels of College personnel, students, vendors, and suppliers in relation to departmental services and duties.
Functional supervision exercised over designated work-study students.
Associate’s degree with emphasis in biology and chemistry required. One year of work experience required, preferably in a laboratory setting. Good organizational skills, interpersonal skills and knowledge of scientific experiments and equipment required. Knowledge of handling of hazardous materials preferred. Background in inventory control desirable.
TORT LIABILITY STATEMENT:
Coordinates the College Risk Management Program in a capacity appropriate to this position. This includes, but is not limited to, monitoring conditions, events and circumstances present through daily College operations, and communicating observations to the appropriate supervisor or taking necessary actions to correct, prevent or limit safety problems. May serve as a member of a committee that supports the health, safety and/or legal rights of visitors, students and staff. Such committees may include the AA/EEO, Sexual Harassment, and Safety/Loss Control committees. (Risk Management Categories I, III, IV. See Tort file.)
This description is intended to indicate the kinds and levels of work difficulty that will be required of the position that will be given the title and shall not be construed as declaring what specific duties and responsibilities of any particular position shall be. It is not intended to limit or in any way modify the right of the supervisor to assign, direct, and control the work of employees under supervision. The use of a particular expression or illustration describing duties shall not be held to exclude other duties not mentioned that are of a similar kind or level of difficulty.