TITLE:Learning Commons Library Coordinator
SUPERVISED BY:Dean of General Education and Transfer Programs
FUNCTION OF THE JOB:
Coordinate library operations, including reference and instruction; acquisition, cataloging, processing, and circulation of library content; supervision of library staff; and administration of the integrated library system.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Lead, direct, and manage all aspects of the library in accordance with professional standards.
- Establish a vision for library services that will promote information literacy skills in a diverse community of learners.
- Work collaboratively with faculty and academic administrators to develop programs and collections that support the college curriculum.
- Provide reference and bibliographic instruction to students, faculty, and staff.
- Oversee activities related to the document collections, including selection, processing, weeding, promotion, and reporting.
- Coordinate the acquisition, licensing, and renewal of online holdings.
- Produce reports on use of library print and electronic holdings.
- Responsible for local administration of the integrated library system.
- Assure the library maintains compliance with Illinois State Library and consortia (RAILS, I-SHARE, CARLI, AMIGOS) contracts and policies.
- Develop, plan, and monitor the library budget under the direction of the supervisor.
- Hire and oversee supervision and training of library staff and work-study employees.
- Market the library to district patrons, students, faculty, and others.
- Provide backup to other library staff on an as needed basis.
- Assume all other reasonable professional duties and responsibilities as assigned by the supervisor.
- Must understand and support the mission of the community college.
- Must have strong communication (oral and written) and interpersonal skills.
- Must be able to provide and understand verbal/visual orders from supervisor and to subordinates.
- Must be able to work effectively in a team environment
- Must possess excellent computer skills with the ability to work with Microsoft Office products.
- Must be able to communicate effectively by phone and email on a daily basis.
- Must be able to work evenings as required.
Frequent and personal contact is made with all levels of College personnel, faculty, students, the general public, and outside organizations in relation to specific departmental duties and services.
Administrative and functional supervision is exercised over library assistants nd work-study students.
ALA accredited master’s degree in library information science or library science, with at least two years of broadly responsible library experience is required. Cataloging and technical service skills, computer application, and database/library system administration background and experience at an I-Share institution are desirable. Strong customer relations skills are required. Must be available to work evenings and weekends.
TORT LIABILITY STATEMENT:
Coordinates the College Risk Management Program in a capacity appropriate to this position. This includes, but is not limited to, monitoring conditions, events and circumstances present through daily College operations, and communicating observations to the appropriate supervisor or taking necessary actions to correct, prevent or limit safety problems. May serve as a member of a committee that supports the health, safety and/or legal rights of visitors, students and staff. Such committees may include the AA/EEO, Sexual Harassment, and Safety/Loss Control committees. (Risk Management Categories I, III, IV. See Tort file.)
This description is intended to indicate the kinds and levels of work difficulty that will be required of the position that will be given the title and shall not be construed as declaring what specific duties and responsibilities of any particular position shall be. It is not intended to limit or in any way modify the right of the supervisor to assign, direct, and control the work of employees under supervision. The use of a particular expression or illustration describing duties shall not be held to exclude other duties not mentioned that are of a similar kind or level of difficulty.