2015-16 Catalog (Archived Catalog)
Psychology - Associate in Science (855)
(855) Associate in Science
Psychology is the scientific study of human and animal behavior and the biological and mental processes that underlie behavior. Freshmen and sophomores who plan to major in Psychology are encouraged to complete additional foundation courses in science and math beyond those required in the Illinois Transferable General Education Core Curriculum (IAI GECC) and to minimize the number of psychology courses taken.
Students who have already chosen the university to which they plan to transfer should consult that institution's catalog or department advisor and an SVCC academic advisor in planning their program. Students pursuing education in social science should meet with an academic advisor. Individualized articulation sheets from some universities are available in the advising office.
Program Contacts at Sauk Valley Community College
Academic Advising, 815/835-6354;
Dr. Nina Dulabaum, Assistant Professor of Psychology, 815/835-6381;
Amy Jakobsen, Assistant Professor of Psychology, 815/835-6324.
Psychology - IAI Recommended Baccalaureate Curriculum
First Semester - Sem/Hrs: 16-17
- **Electives 3 Semester hour(s)
- Personal Development 3 Semester hour(s)
- ENG 101 - Composition I 3 Semester hour(s)
- FYE 101 - First Year Experience 1 Semester hour(s)
- MAT 240 - Elementary Statistics 3 Semester hour(s)
- PSY 103 - Introduction to Psychology 3 Semester hour(s)
Second Semester - Sem/Hrs: 15
- *Mathematics: 3 semester hours
- Fine Arts: 3 semester hours
- ENG 103 - Composition II 3 Semester hour(s)
- PSY 200 - Human Growth and Development 3 Semester hour(s)
- PSY 214 - Child Psychology 3 Semester hour(s)
- SPE 131 - Introduction to Oral Communication 3 Semester hour(s)
Third Semester - Sem/Hrs: 16-17
- ***Life Science: 4-5 semester hours
- Humanities: 3 semester hours
- PSY 215 - Social Psychology 3 Semester hour(s)
- PSY 217 - Abnormal Psychology 3 Semester hour(s)
- SOC 111 - Introduction to Sociology 3 Semester hour(s)
Fourth Semester - Sem/Hrs: 16-18
- ***Physical Science 4-5 Semester hour(s)
- Humanities/Fine Arts 3 Semester hour(s)
- ****Electives 9-10 Semester hour(s)
Total Credits: 64-66
*Suggested MAT 220, MAT 221 or MAT 203.
**Three to four semesters of a college-level foreign language or three to four years of a high school level foreign language may be required for a Bachelor of Arts degree.
***Some universities require a two-semester science sequence in biology, chemistry, or physics.
****Additional science courses, such as anatomy and physiology are recommended.