A strong password is often all that stands between a hacker and the information in your account. As a College employee, that can mean not only your information but the information of students and other employees, so it is doubly important to ensure that your password is strong and secure.
Employee password requirements
- You will need to select a new password prior to logging in the first time.
- From svcc.edu/login, click the Change/Forgot Password link.
- Click "Forgotten Password."
- Enter your Sauk Login Username (e.g. first.m.last) and click "Search."
- You will be prompted to verify your identity by answering two security questions.
- Once you have verified your identity, you will be prompted to select a new password and select new security questions and answers.
- You will need to change your Sauk Login password at minimum every 180 days (you will receive email reminders) by either:
- Pressing Ctrl + Alt + Del on your Sauk Windows computer and clicking "Change Password"
- Using the online password change tool
- Passwords will need to meet the following requirements:
- At least 8 characters long
- Not contain common, insecure character sequences such as "password," "asdf," "qwerty," etc.
- Not a password you have used before
Choosing a good password
- Longer is always better! Consider using a passpharase such as "Those ITS folks are great"--that makes for a long password that is easy to remember.
- Mixing in special characters, numbers, and upper- and lower-case letters is a bonus; again, you can mix this into a sentence such as "Our ITS department is 100% awesome!"
- Using 133t $p3@k or adding a number to the end doesn't really make your password more secure. "p@ssw0rd" and "password123" are just as easy to hack as "password."
- Don't use the same password for everything. Consider using a password manager to generate random passwords and store them securely.