TITLE:Director of Facilities
SUPERVISED BY:Vice President of Business and Facilities
FUNCTION OF THE JOB:
Responsible for coordinating and directing facilities staff with regard to maintenance of the building, equipment, grounds, roadways and parking lots; energy conservation; hazardous waste and environmental regulations; and projects with regard to physical plant construction, renovation, and improvements.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Assign, supervise, inspect and evaluate the work of all facilities staff.
- Develop plans and required paperwork for improvements of the physical plant, in conjunction with the College’s architects and engineers.
- Coordinate and/or monitor construction projects.
- Regularly inspect the operation and condition of the College plant, grounds and equipment and report to the Vice President of Business and Facilities.
- Ensure requisition of supplies needed for the efficient operation and maintenance of the plant, grounds, and equipment and maintain inventory records for same.
- Store and supervise the distribution of all building and equipment keys.
- Supervise the mailroom function, including receipt and distribution of shipments.
- Recommend and specify new equipment needed for the facilities operation.
- Ensure that statutory and common law health and safety rights are extended to all visitors, employees and students.
- Make certain the College’s facilities are maintained in a safe condition.
- Establish an inspection procedure for all College vehicles that leave College property to ensure that all state and local safety regulations are met.
- Serve as a member of the administrative team, including service on the Leadership Council and cooperate with all members of administration in addressing issues that relate to facilities and the overall mission of the College.
- Maintain professional contact through participation in necessary seminars and professional meetings.
- Develop in cooperation with the supervisor annual goals and objectives.
- Prepare and submit to the supervisor an annual report summarizing accomplishments of the previous year.
- Assume all other reasonable professional duties and responsibilities as assigned by the supervisor.
- Must understand and support the mission of the community college.
- Must be able to communicate effectively by phone and email on a daily basis.
- Must be able to provide verbal/visual presentations to department personnel, institution, local community areas, and Board of Trustees as required.
- Must be able to work with Microsoft Office products.
- Must be able to interpret rules, regulations, policies, and procedures.
- Must be able to work in a team environment.
Frequent contact is made with all levels of College personnel, students, and outside organizations in relation to routine departmental services and duties and in providing appropriate assistance and information as requested.
Administrative and functional supervision is exercised over the Assistant Director of Facilities.
College degree in related field or equivalent education and experience required; bachelor’s degree is preferred. Five years experience in physical plant administration required, preferably in an educational setting. Strong interpersonal, communication, and supervisory skills required.
TORT LIABILITY STATEMENT:
Coordinates the College Risk Management Program in a capacity appropriate to this position. This includes, but is not limited to, monitoring conditions, events and circumstances present through daily College operations, and communicating observations to the appropriate supervisor or taking necessary actions to correct, prevent or limit safety problems. May serve as a member of a committee that supports the health, safety and/or legal rights of visitors, students and staff. Such committees may include the AA/EEO, Sexual Harassment, and Safety/Loss Control committees. (Risk Management Categories I, III, IV. See Tort file.)
This description is intended to indicate the kinds and levels of work difficulty that will be required of the position that will be given the title and shall not be construed as declaring what specific duties and responsibilities of any particular position shall be. It is not intended to limit or in any way modify the right of the supervisor to assign, direct, and control the work of employees under supervision. The use of a particular expression or illustration describing duties shall not be held to exclude other duties not mentioned that are of a similar kind or level of difficulty.