Campus Job Descriptions
- Vice President of Academics and Student Services
- Dean of Business, Career, and Technical Programs
- Dean of General Education and Transfer Programs
- Learning Commons Library Coordinator
- Learning Commons Tutoring Coordinator
- Dean of Health Professions
- Dean of Student Services
- Director of Athletics and Fitness Center
- Director of Enrollment Management/Registrar
- Director of Financial Assistance
- Student Support Services Project Director
- Director of Disability Support Services
- Program Director of Adult Education
- Director of the SVCC Police Academy
- Vice President of Business Services (CFO)
- Dean of Information Technology
- Director of Infrastructure and Network Services
- Director of Software and User Services
- Dean of Institutional Advancement
- Director of Business Training and Community Education
- Director of Facilities
TITLE:Director of Athletics and Fitness Center
SUPERVISED BY:Dean of Student Services
FUNCTION OF THE JOB:
Responsible for coordinating all areas of athletics and the fitness center for the College.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Serve as Athletic Director for the College and represent the College to individuals and community groups.
- Plan and organize all aspects of the intercollegiate athletic program including scheduling and arranging all athletic contests, home or away, and intramurals.
- Schedule use and maintenance of all indoor and outdoor athletic facilities.
- Represent the College’s intercollegiate athletic program at conference and regional athletic meetings.
- Participate in and provide input for recruitment activities of student athletes.
- Oversee the process and integrity of granting athletic scholarships.
- Determine and supervise eligibility of student athletes and help coordinate academic support.
- Supervise, evaluate and assist in hiring of all coaching staff.
- Coordinate with Marketing department to produce appropriate sports program publications, press releases, and to update the athletic webpage.
- Coordinate with the coaching staff the systematic reporting of scores and results for all scheduled contests.
- Provide leadership, direction, support and fund-raising activities for the Sauk Valley Booster Club.
- Complete and submit to the supervisor all forms and State of Illinois/College reports for his/her area of responsibility.
- Serve as a member of the administrative team, including service on the administrative council.
- Prepare and manage the budget for all of the athletic department activities.
- Develop in cooperation with the supervisor annual goals and objectives.
- Manage the day-to-day operations of the fitness center, including scheduling staff and providing leadership over programs affiliated with the fitness center.
- Prepare and manage budget for fitness center.
- Provide leadership to curriculum development for PED Courses.
- Provide direct instruction and assessment of student learning for PED Courses.
- Manage membership sales and services.
- Hire, train and supervise fitness center staff.
- Hire, train, and supervise Athletic Trainer.
- Serve as Administrator on Duty on a rotating basis (3% tort).
- Provide wellness education and programming.
- Maintain fitness center facility and contract service for fitness equipment.
- Assume all other reasonable duties and responsibilities as assigned by the supervisor.
- Must understand and support the mission of the community college.
- Must have strong communication (written and oral), interpersonal, and analytical skills.
- Must be able to work effectively in a team environment.
- Must be able to communicate effectively by phone and email on a daily basis.
- Must have the capability to travel to the communities and education systems serviced by the College on an as needed basis.
- Must be able to work evenings and weekends as required.
- Must be able to work with Microsoft Office products.
Frequent contact is made with all levels of College personnel, students, and outside organizations in relation to routine departmental services and duties and in providing appropriate assistance and information as requested.
Administrative and functional supervision is exercised over designated coaching staff, Administrative Assistant to Athletics, fitness center staff, Athletic Trainer, and work-study students.
Bachelor’s degree in physical education or related field required; master’s degree is preferred. Three years coaching experience required, preferably in a community college. Strong communications skills and knowledge of NJCAA rules are required.
TORT LIABILITY STATEMENT:
Coordinates the College Risk Management Program in a capacity appropriate to this position. This includes, but is not limited to, monitoring conditions, events and circumstances present through daily College operations, and communicating observations to the appropriate supervisor or taking necessary actions to correct, prevent or limit safety problems. May serve as a member of a committee that supports the health, safety and/or legal rights of visitors, students and staff. Such committees may include the AA/EEO, Sexual Harassment, and Safety/Loss Control committees. (Risk Management Categories I, III, IV. See Tort file.)
This description is intended to indicate the kinds and levels of work difficulty that will be required of the position that will be given the title and shall not be construed as declaring what specific duties and responsibilities of any particular position shall be. It is not intended to limit or in any way modify the right of the supervisor to assign, direct, and control the work of employees under supervision. The use of a particular expression or illustration describing duties shall not be held to exclude other duties not mentioned that are of a similar kind or level of difficulty.