TITLE:Student Activities/Cross-Cultural Coordinator
SUPERVISED BY:Dean of Student Services
FUNCTION OF THE JOB:
Facilitate student activities by working primarily with the student activities committee of the SVCC Student Government Association. Identify needs and provide academic support and career awareness education for Latino and minority students and their families throughout the Sauk Valley Community College district. Program activities throughout the year to celebrate the different monthly observances, celebrations, and commemorations.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Prepare material for brochures and flyers; and distribute promotional information throughout the College.
- Directly advise and provide leadership to the student activities committee and their executive boards in policy development, financial matters, programming, workshops, retreats, evaluations, and general administration. Administer the annual budget.
- Provide oversight to all recognized student organizations and assist their advisors with the recognition process. This includes assisting students who wish to create new organizations as needed in order to provide diverse and comprehensive opportunities.
- Review and process all event and performance contracts for student activities.
- Prepare reports and conduct research as assigned by the supervisor.
- Update and make copies of the student organization manual as needed.
- Chaperon representatives from student activities to regional programming conference to expose them to the many opportunities for programming of events, speakers, and performers.
- Plan and provide for activities and communications with potential students and parents.
- Represent the College in activities related to recruitment, retention, and career exploration of Latino and minority students.
- Coordinate work with College-wide efforts of recruitment, retention, campus visit programs, and orientation classes.
- Work with community and school districts to identify Latino and minority families to provide them with information concerning career awareness as it affects educational goals.
- Identify, offer support and leadership development opportunities to current and prospective SVCC Latino and minority students.
- Propose and/or provide cross cultural development opportunities for SVCC faculty, staff, and students.
- Develop in cooperation with the supervisor annual goals and objectives.
- Prepare and submit to the supervisor an annual report summarizing accomplishments of the previous year.
- Assist with creating, writing, and editing Spanish publications for Sauk Valley Community College.
- Assist with international admissions of students by serving as an international designated school official (IDSO).
- Serve on campus committees as needed.
- Assume all other reasonable professional duties and responsibilities as assigned by the supervisor.
- Must understand and support the mission of the community college.
- Must be able to communicate fluently in English and Spanish, in person, over the telephone, and in written communications.
- Must be able to provide and understand verbal/visual communications from supervisor and to subordinates.
- Must be able to communicate effectively with school personnel, students, parents, and groups.
- Must have the capability to travel to communities and educational systems served by the College on an as needed basis.
- Must have the ability to work with Microsoft Office products.
Frequent contact is made with all levels of school and college personnel, students, and community members.
Functional supervision exercised over designated mentors, volunteers, and work-study students.
Associate’s degree is required; bachelor’s degree is preferred. Must be bi-lingual (Spanish/English) and culturally sensitive, and have the ability to translate written material from English to Spanish. Knowledge of local school systems and social service agencies preferred. Positive local connections to the Latino community preferred.
TORT LIABILITY STATEMENT:
Coordinates the College Risk Management Program in a capacity appropriate to this position. This includes, but is not limited to, monitoring conditions, events and circumstances present through daily College operations, and communicating observations to the appropriate supervisor or taking necessary actions to correct, prevent or limit safety problems. May serve as a member of a committee that supports the health, safety and/or legal rights of visitors, students and staff. Such committees may include the AA/EEO, Sexual Harassment, and Safety/Loss Control committees. (Risk Management Categories I, III, IV. See Tort file.)
This description is intended to indicate the kinds and levels of work difficulty that will be required of the position that will be given the title and shall not be construed as declaring what specific duties and responsibilities of any particular position shall be. It is not intended to limit or in any way modify the right of the supervisor to assign, direct, and control the work of employees under supervision. The use of a particular expression or illustration describing duties shall not be held to exclude other duties not mentioned that are of a similar kind or level of difficulty.