We are excited to announce that SVCC is a recipient of the Growing Agriculture Science Teachers (GAST) grant!
As part of this funding, at least seven local high school students can take our online AGR 170 Introduction to Agriculture Education course free of charge. The grant is funded for three years and we will offer our first course in January. If you are interested and would like more information, please contact our dual credit staff or your high school counselor.
Seats will fill fast and classes start January 17th. Paid internship opportunities are also available through this course.
The primary mission of our Agriculture Department is to provide an excellent education to the future of our nation's farmers and providers.
If you have a passion for understanding how agriculture can move our nation forward and increasing your understanding of all the facets of developing land. This is a field that you're sure to enjoy.
SVCC For Agriculture
- The Ag Mechanics degree will prepare students to enter the workforce in Ag maintenance positions, general farm work, and even prepare students for mechanical fields outside of Agriculture.
- The Ag Production Technology A.A.S. degree and certificate prepare students for a variety of crop productions, and positions related to the support of production agriculture.
- The Ag Business A.A.S. degree prepares students to work in Ag lending, Ag sales, Ag economics, and farm business management.
- The Animal Science transfer degree prepares students for careers in livestock production, research, veterinary science, animal nutrition, and animal reproduction.
- The SVCC Ag Program will continue to grow and evolve to meet the ever changing technology and needs of the agriculture industry in the Sauk Valley area.
1 Agriculture Certificate
|Commercial sUAS (Drone) Pilot|
1 Commercial sUAS (Drone) Pilot Certificate
The Agriculture Department faculty have an essential mix of credentials, teaching and real world experience. Combined, these instructors have over 10 years of experience teaching at SVCC.
Kevin M Larsen
Kevin Larsen has a lifetime of experience in agriculture, being born on a dairy farm in Wisconsin to currently owning a 30-acre hay & beef farm outside of Morrison. Kevin taught for over six years as a high school agriculture teacher and FFA advisor and worked as one of the state staff for agricultural education for over three years. His passions are in the areas of agriculture education, animal science, and ag mechanics but has aspirations in all areas of agriculture.
Michael R Selover
Michael Selover, Ed.D. has over 20 years of agricultural industry and education experience. Dr. Selover's greatest expertise is in precision agriculture, specifically using geospatial and statistical techniques to refine operational management strategies and improve environmental outcomes. Dr. Selover has done extensive work in agronomic crop research and development, turf and landscape management, and has helped author several climatic and water resource decision support and best practices documents. He is also a former K-12 educator, having taught agriculture and biology in Florida while advising the local FFA organization.