Sauk Valley Community College
an institution of higher education that provides quality learning opportunities to meet the diverse needs of its students and community
How to Run a Meeting
- Have a purpose for holding the meeting.
- Identify your specific objectives.
- Have an enthusiastic attitude.
- Arrange the room so everyone can be seen and heard.
- Develop an introduction which includes:
- statement of objectives
- roles and responsibilities of participants
- introduce special guests, new members, etc.
- opening questions to start discussion
- Develop and follow an agenda which includes:
- minutes of the previous meeting
- standing and special committee reports
- new and old business reports
- Encourage all members to participate
- always call individuals by name
- redirect questions to the group
- Be conscious of time.
- Maintain control of the meeting.
- Final four steps of the meeting:
- review all important decisions made
- restate all assignments and completion dates
- set a time and place for the next meeting
- thank participants for attendance and participation