- Students with approved OPT may accept employment anywhere in the U.S., as long as that employment is directly related to the student’s field of study.
- No offer of employment is necessary in order to apply for OPT
- May apply for OPT up to 90 days before degree completion date
- USCIS may take up to 12 weeks to adjudicate OPT applications
- OPT start date is chosen by the student. Start date may begin the day after graduation, or up to 60 days after degree completion
- A total of 90 days of unemployment is allowed during OPT
OPT Application Process
- Form I-765
- Form G-1145
- Appropriate Payment of current fee
- 2 passport photos
- I-20 copies, including I-20 with OPT recommendation
- Copy of F-1 visa
- Copy of passport
- Copy of I-94 Arrival/Departure record. Print electronic copy, or make copies of both front and back of paper copy if a paper form was issued.
Processes and fees are subject to change without notice. Always check the USCIS.gov website for current filing instructions.