New Veteran Students at SVCC

  1. Apply for Veteran Educational Benefits and Financial Aid

    • Veterans needing information about which benefits to apply for, or assistance with the application process should see the Veterans Certifying Official, in the Office of Financial Assistance (Room 1G12). Click here to access the applications.
    • Complete a Veteran's Cover Sheet (must be completed each semester that you wish to use Veterans Educational Benefits) and turn in to the Veterans Certifying Official A copy of your Member 4 DD214s and other documents may also be required.
    • Be sure to apply for veterans benefits 12 weeks prior to registration or be prepared to make payment at time of registration according to college policy. Once SVCC receives payment from the VA, you may be reimbursed.
    • (Optional) Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid(FAFSA)

    All students are encouraged to fill out the FAFSA form online to determine eligibility for other possible financial aid benefits. Veteran's benefits do not conflict with eligibility for most grants such as PELL and SEOG. Students eligible for IVG and ING are not eligible for IL State MAP Grant. Students should speak with the Veterans Certifying Official regarding how the IL State MAP Grant works with the Post 9/11 benefit.

    The Office of Student Financial Assistance web-site may be viewed at svcc.edu/finaid.

  2. Apply for Admission to Sauk Valley Community College

  3. Request Evaluation of Educational Transcripts and Prior Credit

    1. Contact all previous high school and colleges/universities attended and have official transcripts sent to the SVCC Office of Admissions and Records 815-835-6327. Transcripts may be mailed to:
      Sauk Valley Community College
      Attn: Admissions and Records
      173 IL Route 2
      Dixon, IL 61021
    2. Submit a copy of all Military Transcripts and Member 4 DD214s for your active duty service, along with a completed Transcript Evaluation Form to the Office of Admissions and Records.

    Click Here for Information on how to Obtain Military Transcripts

  4. Schedule and Complete Placement Testing

  5. Academic Advising

    Schedule an appointment with Mandy Aldridge, Academic Advisor, to discuss your educational and career plans. At this meeting, you will go over your placement test results and select courses for the upcoming semester. To make an appointment, call 815-835-6354.

    For more information about academic advising services, please visit svcc.edu/advising.

  6. Register for Classes

  7. Make Payment Arrangements

    • If using Veterans Educational Benefits to pay for your tuition/fees, visit the Veterans Certifying Official, to ensure that payment is applied to your account. If benefits are not approved prior to registration, you may be required to make other payment arrangements.
    • If Veterans Educational Benefits will not cover some or all of your tuition/fees, payment options are available at www.svcc.edu/business-office/paymentopts.html.